Sunday, September 29, 2013

Memorize This Poem



“It’s time again,” the teacher said,
“To memorize a poem!”
“One week to get them in your head,
Then come and show you know ’em!”

All through the week I tried and tried
To find a verse worth knowing,
And by the end my brain was fried
With poems overflowing!

So Monday, when it came my turn
To serenade the class,
I tried to show that I could learn,
And here’s what came to pass.

Ahem...

“Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
The darling buds of May,
A stately pleasure dome decree,
Callooh! Callooh! Callay!

How do I love thee?  Let me count!
And Juliet is the sun!
I pondered, weak and weary,
O, Our fearful trip is done!

It is an ancient mariner,
Thou still unravished bride,
Whose woods these are, I think I know--
Land of the pilgrim’s pride!

A host of golden daffodils,
The dying of the light.
Here comes the sun, here comes the sun,
And I say it’s all right.”

The other students in the room,
Well, mostly they ignored.
The teacher, quiet as a tomb,
Looked slack-jawed, stunned, and floored.

She gave me a B-minus,
Then she told me to sit down.
She slowly rubbed her sinus,
With a furrowed little frown.

The next time that we memorize,
I won’t attempt them all,
I’ll just be wise and compromise
And check the bathroom wall!

1 comment:

  1. Funny!!

    I'm remembering how much easier it was to "Count the ways..." outside of 9th. grade English class.

    I'd wager that Andy knows every line of every poem here...
    and many more!

    ReplyDelete