Saturday, March 29, 2014

I.O.U.


My dad said it’s important that you pay back what you borrow.
“My son,” he said, “forgetting debts can only lead to sorrow!”
And so, because my dad is wise, I promptly pay each debt.
There’s not a thing I’ve borrowed that I haven’t paid back yet!
When you loaned me a dollar for a pretzel at the fair,
I paid you back in pennies--ninety-seven!  Almost there!
When you loaned me an egg so I could finish my soufflé,
I only used the inside.  I returned the shell!  Hooray!
I did return your turbo-charged electric ear hair groomer--
That’s not MY dog’s hair clogging up the parts.  It’s just a rumor!
And when I took your dental floss, I didn’t want to swindle.
I used it, wiped it off, then wound it back around the spindle!
It may sound like I haven’t paid back everything I took.
It may sound like I haven’t evened out the balance book.
But next time that you loan me something, I will make it right.
I’ll pay you back a little extra, just to be polite.
Hey, can I have a tissue?  I’ve got allergies galore!
I swear I will return it--plus a little something more.

1 comment: